Saturday, May 7, 2011

Relationships & Life In General

This week, the topic was relationships.  Our speakers were a married couple that work at the base, Jeremy & Keeley Lange.  It was a good week, nothing too eventful.  Some of the information was about finding your spouse which clearly we didn't have to worry about, but it was still good.  We were able to find some important things that were things we already knew but were good reminders.  This next week, the topic should be quite interesting: spiritual warfare with Dean Sherman.  So for any REACHers that are reading this, that's right, we're getting the real Dean Sherman.  This is one of the weeks that I have been looking forward to.

So every Saturday, we get the option of doing something fun around the area.  The first week we climbed a small mountain (when I say climb, I mean we walked along trails that were uphill a little bit).  Then we went to the city of Boulder and walked along Pearl St. which was really cool.  Rachel and I skipped the next week.  I think they went to an Asian market.  Last week, we went to the Celestial Seasonings tea factory.  I forgot to mention it in my last post.  This place was really cool.  Before the tour, there is a large waiting room with random art everywhere.  While you wait, you can try any tea that they have for free.  You get these small ceramic mugs and reuse them.  Then we went on the tour which was cool but not overly exciting.  The peppermint room was cool.  It has to be kept separate from all the other tea because it is so strong and will affect all the other tea.  The inventory was low so the smell wasn't as overpowering as I expected, but it still definitely opened up the sinuses.  Afterwards, we went to the gift shop where there tea was a very good price.  I think it was like $2.40 for a box of tea which I know is way cheaper than the grocery store.  Obviously, it makes sense that it's cheaper since that's where they make it.  So anyways, that was our favorite Saturday activity so far.  Today was the Cinco de Mayo festival in downtown Denver.  I got some tacos which were quite delicious, but the festival wasn't too exciting.  I don't know what's planned for future weeks, but it's nice to be able to have options to do some random things like that.


As far as life goes here at the base, it definitely goes up and down for both Rachel and I.  Some days we really enjoy it here and know that God has definitely put us here for a reason.  Then, there are other days when we both miss our independence and have no desire to be around people.  We are fortunate to have our own room so we're able to get our privacy.  Of course, we both know that it's good to be without independence.  One of the biggest things I learned when I got married was how selfish I am.  I'm seeing it again as we live in community with a bunch of people.  For example, I get up in the morning and go downstairs for breakfast.  At this point, I have literally just rolled out of bed, put on some clothes, and walked downstairs and I'm not a morning person.  I don't really like to talk to people until I've had about a half hour to wake up.  You can ask some of my former roommates.  I wasn't always pleasant.  Anyways, living in community makes this difficult.  I have begun to sit by myself for breakfast but it's not always an option and sometimes I'm forced to talk to people.  It's good for me, I know, but I still don't like it.  So community living is not the easiest thing in the world, but it's a good thing.  I love being with some people and then others, not so much.  God continues to teach me how to love others.  It seems that this is a lesson I will continue to learn throughout my life.  And God is teaching me a lot of other things even though at this point I'm not always sure what it is.   I'll discuss the life on the base more in future posts.  Anyways, without further ado, here's today's fun fact:


Ants stretch when they wake up in the morning.


Deep thought by Jack Handey:
I think a good gift for the President would be a chocolate revolver.  And since he's so busy, you'd probably have to run up to him real quick and hand it to him.

2 comments:

  1. HaHa one person who talked in the moring is me!! Bless sommers - Seunghwa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Randy! Cool to see that you're in Colorado. I was there last October. My brother and his family live in Colorado Springs where he's attending Bible College. Hope everything is well with you.

    Rhi

    ReplyDelete