Sunday, May 1, 2011

Fear of the Lord week

This past week, we had a teaching on the fear of the Lord by Mark Davies.  He is one of the staff members on the base.  He's probably the most energetic speaker we have had so far.  I found the topic to be a difficult topic to grasp.  I've never been through a teaching on the fear of the Lord but I thought Mark did a great job.  To me, the fear of the Lord is an all-encompassing aspect of Christianity.  It's one of those things about God that you can't really put in a box to explain what it is.  The best I could say is that it's reverence and awe for God which translates into every aspect of your life if you're truly in awe of God.  At the same time, part of the definition is absolute terror of God.  That makes sense since anyone who sees God face-to-face will die because it's too much for us to handle.

Our relationships here are constantly growing.  Today, God was just showing me the importance of unity within the body.  We found out this week that there are 38,000 Christian denominations and 6,000 have started since 2006.  I've seen it in almost every church I've been involved in and I see it here at YWAM.  We get annoyed at each other for little petty things and it gets in the way of what God is trying to do.  Mark talked about the absolutes and relatives in Christianity.  The absolutes would be things like Jesus is the only way, the Trinity, or Jesus died for our sins, etc.  Relatives would be those things like alcohol, worship style, and just things where the Bible might not be completely clear and it's not a salvation issue.  So many churches split over these things and it's really sad.  Non-Christians see all the fighting among the church and want no part of that because that's no different than what they see everyday in the world.  I know that there are plenty of people where I really don't enjoy their company.  They have different ideas or an annoying personality, whatever it may be.  But as a church, we must be able to reconcile those differences for the greater purpose of the Kingdom.  It doesn't mean that you need to hang out together all the time, but realize that we all have different backgrounds that God can use to impact so many people in various ways.  We must love each other no matter the cost.  God loves us no matter how annoying we are sometimes. 

On another note, I ate at a place called "$1.35 a scoop."  It's a Chinese restaurant.  A lot of the people on the base really like this place but I think that's because it's so cheap.  A scoop is really large so I got 2 scoops and I was really full.  Some people actually do think that the food is really good.  I don't want to be too judgmental, but really?!?  For one, the scoop thing just sounds disgusting.  The rice was okay.  I got sesame chicken and it was mostly breading.  I wasn't sure where the actual chicken was most of the time.  I brought some back for Rachel and she wouldn't even try it.  So, needless to say, I highly doubt I will be eating there again.  And finally...

Fun Fact: The Bible is not only, the world's best selling book, but also the most shoplifted book.

Deep Thought from Jack Handey: Probably the saddest thing you'll ever see is a mosquito sucking on a mummy.  Forget it, little friend.

Randy

2 comments:

  1. So do they scoop the rice and sesame chicken in one scoop or one for rice and one for sesame?
    I like the gimmick and the fact that it is cheap but doesn't sound quality. Like my Mr Ells says "It needs to be Food with Integrity."
    Also comment on your Font- It is a little annoying to read either because it is one the computer or because I don't read cursive writing very well. But, it does bring a journal mentality to your ramblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No actually the chicken was one scoop and then, I thought that the rice would be one scoop too, but it was more like 3 scoops. So you definitely get plenty. Yeah Rachel put that font on there. It doesn't show up on my mac, but I'll let her know and see if she wants to change it.

    ReplyDelete