Friday, May 13, 2011

Spiritual Warfare with Dean Sherman

So this week was a long, draining week, but it was good.  We had a YWAM legend speak this week.  Dean Sherman has been with YWAM for over 40 years.  When I was in REACH, we watched his videos.  He's also good friends with Henry Schrock from Hartville Mennonite Church and he's eaten at the Hartville Kitchen before so there's all kinds of connections.  Anyways, he has a distinct style to his speaking.  He has a very dry sense of humor that you either love or hate, I think.  The first 2 days were of Dean just speaking and although it was good, it just seemed to be very long.  The last 2 days, he spent most of the time answering questions that we had.  That was really interesting.  One thing I took from the question and answer time was this: He used the Bible most of the time to answer questions.  He said that almost every question we have is answered in the Bible.  He had all kinds of good spiritual one-liners that just kinda hit me.  Here's a few:
"Emphasize life, not belief."
"Christianity started with a man, not a manual."
"Christianity is not about making bad people good, but about making dead people alive."
"Christian faith is based on logic and reason."
"It's dangerous to read the Bible with intellect alone."
"Expect the Holy Spirit."
"Don't accept, stand against."

I think one of the things that I can take away from the week was that we have all authority in Jesus' name.  I've always known this and have used it before.  But it was made more clear to me this week.  There is no evil power greater than the name of the Jesus.  We can stand up to anything that satan throws at us.  We do not have to accept all of the evil that happens in the world, but we can stand against it and fight it.  We may not see the answers to our prayers immediately but our prayers are being heard and they will be answered.

So this weekend is our first anniversary.  I was looking at getting a hotel so we could get away for the weekend but we just decided that we don't really want to spend the money on that.  I think I prayed a little that God would help me find a cheap, but nice hotel.  After we decided though to not get one, we thought we would just stay at the base.  We would maybe go out to eat on Saturday night but that was going to be about it.  Well, our friend Cheri, (who I call Cheryl because she calls me Roger, it's a long story) is going to her aunt's cabin tonight to also get away.  Then she told us that we can come if we want and we can even stay Saturday night if we like.  She is only staying tonight so it worked out perfectly.  God answered my prayer without me really asking for it.  So I thought that was pretty cool and worth sharing.  And now, the fun fact of the day:

Armadillos, opossums, and sloths spend about 80% of their lives sleeping.

Deep thought by Jack Handey:
If you ever catch on fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because I bet that's what REALLY throws you into a panic.

No comments:

Post a Comment