Monday, May 30, 2011

Bible study week

This past week, our speakers were Eric and Amy Barlow.  They're a couple on staff here at the base who have a passion for the Bible.  So naturally, our topic was Bible study.  It was a really good, practical week.  It gave me a stronger desire to spend more time in the Word and they showed us a bunch of tools to use to help study.  I really enjoyed the time that we had to actually put that to use.  On Tuesday night, we spent an hour alone reading Psalm 119 and meditating on it.  Later in the week, we spent time as a group studying Philemon in depth.  It was just really cool being able to do a study rather than just listen to how a study should be done.  Overall, it felt like one of the most practical weeks, but also really important. 

The end of the week was rough.  On Saturday, the Around The World DTS left for outreach.  They have an extra month of outreach since they are travelling through at least 6 countries.  Our DTS was combined with them for the first 8 weeks so we were able to get close to some of them.  In a way, it felt as though half of our team left.  Rachel and I are both just ready to go on outreach already so that has made it harder seeing them leave.  This week is going to be difficult without all of them in class.  On top of that, this week we will have a Korean speaker and everything will be translated into English.  I'm really glad for the Koreans in our class that they get to have a week where everything is in their language, but I know it will be difficult for us to concentrate the entire time. 

So our YWAM experience here has been unique.  Both of us have days where we just want to go home.  For both of us, this is a new feeling.  When we were in missions before, we both really enjoyed it and rarely missed home.  I can't pinpoint why this is so difficult for us.  We both know that God has us here for a purpose and we have seen some of the reasons why we're here.  I know that we fit perfectly on this team and we both love our teammates.  God is going to do some really cool things on outreach.  We're both growing in our relationship with God.  But it's still difficult.  It has been a humbling experience for sure.  This verse just came to my mind and it's one that fits us right now.
Psalm 43:5 - Why are you downcast, O my soul?  Why so disturbed within me?  Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God.
No matter how hard this experience has been or will be from here on, God is still king.  He is God and we are not.  He has us here for this time and this place.  We may not always enjoy it, but one thing I've learned is that my emotions can't always be trusted.  They're always going up and down.  So regardless of how I'm feeling at the moment, God is still good and His purposes are good.  We will do our best to embrace YWAM while we're here and be God's light where ever we go. 

Fun Fact:
You cannot hum while holding your nose.
Deep Thought by Jack Handey:
You know what would be the most terrifying thing that could ever happen to a flea?  Getting caught inside a watch somehow.  You don't even care, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment